Members of our firm have often defended public entities, either as a result of specific public entity representation (Cities of Columbus, Starkville, Jackson, West Point; Columbus Separate School District; Starkville Separate School District; West Point Separate School District; Northeast Mississippi Community College; Columbus Utilities, Starkville Electric, etc.) or as provided counsel for accepted insurance defense claims.
Our firm has also regularly represented companies engaged in the operation and management of water and wastewater treatments facilities for municipalities and other governmental entities in Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Florida, requiring detailed knowledge of the business and risks of independent contractors and governmental entities, as well as the requirements for governmental contracting.
We have participated in negotiating and writing over fifty (50) of such contracts, including one with the City of Jackson, Mississippi which, at the time of the contract’s making, involved the largest municipal wastewater treatment plant under private operation and management in the U. S. The work has required that our member be thoroughly familiar with the liabilities of contractors with municipalities and the liabilities of municipalities which the contractor must assume or protect himself from.
Public Officers Work Examples
- Successfully defended Sheriff in First Amendment claim by discharged deputy by negotiating minimal settlement immediately prior to trial. Established that deputy had been disruptive and undermined the sheriff while employed and running for office thus negating any First Amendment claim.
- Successfully defended Sheriff at trial in claim by prisoner that he had been beaten while in detention. Established that prisoner’s witness could not possibly have seen or witnessed alleged misconduct, and thus no evidence that any misconduct occurred.
- Negotiated a minimal settlement on behalf of Defendant police officers when the Plaintiff, who was drunk, broke into a department store and was videoed being struck and kicked by police officers making the arrest.
Public Entity Liability Work Examples
- Negotiated favorable settlement of Section 1983 sexual discrimination claim against School District in which maintenance employee assaulted teacher and issue of prior notice to the School District of tendencies of maintenance employee was in question.
- Successfully represented City in eminent domain claim against land owner by obtaining judgment to obtain property at price which City had offered and succeeded in keeping other claims of the landowner against the City out of the litigation.
- Successfully defended a City Utility when the Plaintiff had his arms and legs burned off when a television antenna touched the electrical transmission lines when the Plaintiff was installing an antenna on his roof.
Work for Boards and Commissions
Our attorneys have extensive experience in handling matters at state and federal administrative board levels, including:
- Board of Bar Admissions
- Board of Pharmacy
- Board of Contractors
- Board of Medical Licensure
- Board of Nursing
- Department of Revenue
- Division of Medicaid
Representative clients include
- Phillips & Associates
- Cities of Jackson, Columbus, West Point and Starkville
- Mississippi Board of Bar Admissions
- Mississippi Municipal Association
- City of Amory Utility
- Starkville Electric
- Columbus Light and Water
- School Districts for Jackson, Columbus, West Point and Starkville
- East Mississippi Community College